|Note: This article is preserved for archival reasons. Changes in game dynamics in newer versions of the game may make statements in this article no longer accurate.|
|An example covering of 21 Large Water habitats for Island 1.|
The Panlong Waterpark Strategy is of note because it is the technically optimal strategy of DragonCash production by means of habitat collection alone; although there are some downsides to this configuration, as mentioned below. However, the most optimal overall strategy is the Iron Breeding and Panlong Waterpark Strategy, which substitutes one Large Water habitat on Island 2 for a Large Metal habitat, from which four Iron dragons can constantly breed for profit.
- Qty. 21, Large Water Habitats
- Qty. 84, Level 20 Panlong Dragons
- Qty. 1, Fire Boost
- Qty. 1, Water Boost
- Qty. 1, Entrance Portal (Required by island.)
- Qty. 8, Large Water Habitats
- Qty. 32, Level 20 Panlong Dragons
- At least 1 shrine of the Panlong—i.e., Water Shrine, Earth Shrine, Fire Shrine, or Air Shrine. (Required to obtain level 20 Panlong dragons. The Earth Shrine is the cheapest at 750,000 DragonCash. This shrine can be placed on an additional island too—wherever there's room, really.)
- Qty. 1, Entrance Portal (Required by island.)
- Island 1 production: 21 habitats × 4 dragons per habitat × 375 DragonCash per minute per dragon × 1.2 (Fire Boost) × 1.2 (Water Boost) = 45,360 DragonCash per minute
- Island 2 production: 8 habitats × 4 dragons per habitat × 375 DragonCash per minute per dragon = 12,000 DragonCash per minute
- Because of this downside, a more pragmatic variation—the Panlong Earthpark Strategy—exists using Large Earth habitats instead, since Large Earth habitats can store up to 75,000 Dragoncash. This results in a maximally minimum collection frequency of (rounded down) 46 minutes, 17 seconds. But, this produces less DragonCash per minute, since one can only fit 3 Panlong dragons per Large Earth habitat and only 14 Large Earth habitats per island.
- Depending on the frequency of habitat collection, "Hybrid Panlong Waterpark-Earthpark Stratgies" can be more effective than either the standard Earthpark strategy or Waterpark strategy in that a hybrid configuration can minimize on "lost DragonCash" due to ignoring it. Again, this is with the additional frequency of collection constraint. The Waterpark strategy with a collection frequency of 13 minutes, 53 seconds is still the most optimal configuration for DragonCash production via habitats alone.
The Large Water habitat was chosen for its qualities of dragon capacity, size, and lastly, DragonCash capacity.
- Dragon capacity: Between the four possible Panlong dragon large habitat types—Water, Earth, Fire, and Air—only the Large Air habitat, Large Fire, and Large Water habitats can hold four dragons. The Large Earth habitat can only hold 3 dragons.
- Size: Qualities of physical size are important for placing as many habitats as possible on Island 1, since one wants to have as many dragons boosted as possible. The more habitats you can fit (combined with dragon capacity per habitat), the more dragons you can have affected. Between the four large habitats, the Large Air habitat, Large Fire, and Large Water habitats take up 5×5 spaces. The Large Earth habitat takes up 6×6 spaces.
- DragonCash capacity: Given the constraint of optimizing for maximal DragonCash production per minute, this rules out the Large Earth habitat for use. Between the remaining three habitats, the Large Water habitat holds the most DragonCash (30,000). However, this assumes one can collect on a frequent enough basis, before the habitat DragonCash capacity is reached. If you add in the constraint of infrequent collection, the Large Earth habitat may be a better practical choice, even though it will not produce as much DragonCash per minute.
- The combination of Fire Boost and Water Boost yields the most DragonCash per Panlong dragon. (For level 20 Panlongs, 375 DragonCash per minute per dragon × 1.2 (Fire Boost) × 1.2 (Water Boost) = 540 DragonCash per minute per dragon.)
- It is more profitable to have both the Fire Boost and Water Boost on the same island instead of splitting them up. This is due to the nature of how the boost percentages are compounded.
- For all other boosts that affect the Panlong dragon, said boosts affect it in a ultimately negative manner. I.e., while the Air Boost and Earth Boost both have a "+20%" benefit, they also each have a "-20%" detriment each to the Panlong dragon. Moreover, because of how boosts are calculated in DragonVale, these "negative percentages" do not merely cancel out the "positive percentages", but rather there is a resulting net detriment. E.g., for all four boosts active, the resulting effect is 1.2 × 1.2 × (1.2 × 0.8) × (1.2 × 0.8) = 1.327104 total boost multiplier. However, with just the Fire Boost and Water Boost acting upon the dragons, you get a 1.44 total boost multiplier (i.e., 1.2 × 1.2).
- Level 30 required for all 29 habitats.
- When compared to the Rainbow dragons, a single Large Water habitat of qty. 4, level 5 Panlong dragons (un-boosted) yields slightly more DragonCash per minute than a single Rainbow habitat of qty. 1, level 10 Rainbow dragon. That is, 412 DragonCash/minute versus 400 DragonCash/minute, respectively. This is of note since the aforementioned habitats are maxed out in their dragon capacity in this scenario; this is what allows the Panlong dragons to be greatly more effective at producing more DragonCash per minute than the Rainbow dragons. Boosts also affect this in the Panlong's favor; however, the crux of the matter primarily has to deal with the ability to have more dragons occupy a single habitat.
Most Optimal Strategy
- Breeding/Habitat Collection: While it can be proven that the Panlong Waterpark Strategy is the most optimal strategy for DragonCash production via only habitat collection, it is not the most optimal strategy for DragonCash production overall. If we expand beyond merely just habitat collection and venture forth into breeding, then the optimal breeding-habitat collection configuration is the Iron-Breeding and Panlong Waterpark Strategy in which there is at least one Large Metal habitat with four Iron dragons that constantly breed for profit. I have not yet technically proven it for the overall case, but I believe this to be the most overall optimal strategy. (Note: This ignores collecting DragonCash from friends and collecting DragonCash from Goals; however, both of these two sources are minor contributors.)