The primary element traits of most dragons in DragonVale can be found within a dragon's elemental breath. Below are charts which categorize the dragons by their elemental breath. Many limited dragons and epic dragons have unique exhalations. On the Dragon Track, many dragons emit exhaust that is identical to their elemental breath.
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - -
- Since the Brass Dragon has two heads, it has two elemental breaths, one head breathing fireballs (fire elemental breath), and one head breathing metal shards (metal elemental breath).
- The Tree Dragon elemental breath angles towards the ground as an imitation of falling leaves.
- The Pearl Dragon only exhales its elemental breath when it is in the water.
- The Firework Dragon is the only dragon that can exhale its elemental breath in its baby form.
- The Pollen Dragon, in addition to exhaling leaves, often 'sneezes' out a few leaves, going through sneezing motions and wiping its nose.
- The Garnet Dragon only exhales when it is not in water.
- The Aquamarine Dragon is the first two-headed dragon where both heads exhale the same elemental breath.
- The Motley Dragon elemental breath goes straight down, resembling falling confetti.
- The Ember Dragon elemental breath comes out of its tail as blobs of orange embers.
- Some Epic Dragons can exhale their elemental breath in the air and on the ground.
- The Ouroboros Dragon and the Wind Dragon only breathe their elemental breath in the air.
- There is a slight delay before the Watch Dragon breathes its elemental breath.
- On July 10, 2014, the elemental breath for Firefly Dragon was changed from fireballs to fireflies and red dots.
- The Portent Dragon breathes its elemental breath through the gem on its forehead when it opens its eyes.
- The Vortex Dragon actually inhales its elemental breath.
- The Sumi Dragon is currently the only dragon does not breathe an elemental breath.
- On November 23, 2012, Kairos was given a larger elemental breath.
- On September 22, 2013, the elemental breath for the Autumn seasonal appearance of the Seasonal Dragon was changed.
- Prior to the change, the Autumn version exhaled shiny green/orange suns and green sparkles.
- On an unknown date, the Autumn Dragon's elemental breath changed.
- On March 21, 2014, the elemental breath for the Spring seasonal appearance of the Seasonal Dragon was changed.
- Prior to the change, the Spring version exhales green, yellow, red and orange suns along with green sparkles.
- The Ember Dragon is the first dragon to emit its elemental breath from its tail.
- On April 2, 2015, the Frostbite Dragon's elemental breath changed from Cold to Dark.